Sunday, December 25, 2011

Ah, Christmas...

Christmas... combining a little past and a little present.  My great grandmother made the most fabulous cinnamon rolls ever.  My childhood taste buds were honed on these yeasty marvels... with their lovely combination texture... and the most mouth watering caramelized bottoms... oh, drool.  There were things you could just count on... turkey at Thanksgiving... Santa at Christmas... and great grandmother's cinnamon rolls at both.  If I close my eyes, I can still recall that distinctive scent of cinnamon combined with warm newsprint.  She always kept the rolls in their baking pan and wrapped the pan in newspaper to keep them warm on their trip from her house to ours.  My sister has managed to recreate those rolls to absolute perfection.  She even uses the very same pan... and wraps it newspaper... but has added her own special touch... the passenger seat warmer in her car.


1 comment: