Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Lick and a Promise...

Ah...Spring... and along with it the pressure to Spring clean. I try to resist that pressure until it's almost time for a good Fall cleaning. I'm always diligent about my panicked and manic great end-of-the-year, no-holds-barred, holiday clean-o-rama though (there's nothing like impending guests to get the mopping started in earnest.) "I'll just give it a lick and a promise for now." That's what my Grandmother used to say on the rare occasions she just had time to do a light cleaning. More often then I care to admit, I give my home just that... a quick lick and a promise... when I'd really ought to be picking up my entire house and shaking it until all the dust gave up and disappeared. Long gone, apparently, are the days when household chores were a scheduled and non-flexible weekly event. Monday...laundry, Tuesday...baking, Wednesday...vacuuming, you get the idea. Nowadays, I think more of us live by the "lick and a promise" method than not. Of course, I'm probably wrong... but if I am, please don't tell me... it salves the ego a bit hoping I'm not the lone slacker...

No comments:

Post a Comment