Wednesday, April 7, 2010

We'll Have Our Usual...

My brothers, sister and I often spent weekends at my Grandmother's house. My sister and I one weekend... my brothers the next. Gram would take us to the market and let us choose whatever we wanted from the entire store for our dinner. In those days, that was a rare treat, because at home you ate what was put on the table... period... no negotiating... no microwaving different meals for finicky palates. On our weekends, I would ordinarily coerce my sister into letting me decide on the main course, while offering her the choice of desserts. She usually caved under pressure and let me have my way... which meant we ate Canadian bacon and au gratin potatoes... for weeks. Upon reflection, I owe a VERY belated thank you to Sissy (and Gram) for being gracious enough to eat the same dinner over and over and over again without so much as a whimper... a roll of the eyes once or twice maybe... (Sissy, that is... not Gram).

No comments:

Post a Comment